The Unofficial All-Genre Multimedia Guide to Submitting Short Prose
This exciting 2-disc digital learning tool guides the viewer through each step of the submission process. Users will gain knowledge of prose markets, from glossies to zines. They will get the insiders’ perspective to increase their odds of publication, get market research tips, learn how to write a cover letter, and hear revision advice. Editors from The Atlantic Monthly, Ellery Queen, Cricket, Other Voices, Brevity, River Teeth, and other national magazines confide their turn-ons and turn-offs.
• Featured Editors:
• Featured Writers: Novelists and short story writers John McNally and Joe Meno share their experiences with submitting work. Hear how they persevere and keep their names in print, balancing art with commerce in their writing careers.
• Book Anthology: DVD includes a 190-page digital book anthology of stories from the featured magazines. The editors’ mantra is, “read the magazine,” now here’s your chance to read published stories. This PDF file is readable on any computer with Acrobat Reader.
• Prose Markets Defined: Learn the difference between glossies, lit mags, electronic mags, genre mags and zines. Plus find further breakdowns of online markets and zines.
• Cover Letters: See sample cover letters and hear from editors on what not to do.
• Revision Tips: Editors offer advice on re-imagining your story
• Agents: Literaryagents.org editor, Todd James Pierce discusses the what, why, and when of literary agents. This 25-minute segment is a must-see for fiction writers looking to publish books.
• Post-Rejection: Editors discuss the many reasons why a story may have missed the mark.
• John McNally: Short story writer and novelist John McNally gives an overview of his literary career. A great segment for aspiring writers on the reality of the writing life.
• Market Research: Begin to research magazines with our easy to use market sheet.
• Market Listings: Twenty pages of market listings, links and writer sites everyone should bookmark.
Format: 2 DVDs