NEW! PDF Import
Have a screenplay you want to work on but only have a PDF? No problem! You can now import a PDF into Final Draft 12 and convert it into a fully editable Final Draft file.
NEW! Flow Lines
Flow Lines allow you to show connections between beats and create a Story Flow for advanced screenplay outlining.
NEW! Outline Elements + Editor
Send your outline to script and see it on the page for easy reference as Outline Elements, then show and hide the outline as needed during your writing process. The Outline Editor gives you a bird’s eye view of your screenplay structure, and multiple customizable lanes for high- level outlining.
NEW! Track Changes
Keep a record of edits to your script and choose whether to accept or reject your changes, giving you even greater control over the editing process.
NEW! Focus Mode
Customize your creative environment, eliminate distractions and get down to the business of writing.
NEW! Story Structure Templates
Access quick-start educational templates with common story structures like 3 Act, Pyramid, the Hero’s Journey, Save the Cat and more.
IMPROVED! Beat Board Collaboration, Find/Replace, Spell Check
Collaborators can now access the Beat Board, while the new Spell Check and Find & Replace features make the Beat Board even more user-friendly.
IMPROVED! ScriptNotes Enhancements
ScriptNotes allows you to create, open and edit notes on your screenplay in a popover window and visually customize them by color and type. Notes are then synced to the ScriptNotes in the navigator.
IMPROVED! Revisions Window
The new intuitive layout allows you to drag to rearrange sets within the Revision table and easily move back and forth between sets.
Limitless mind-mapping to organize your ideas in a customizable, visual space.
- Beats can be anything – plot points, character arcs, research, location ideas
- Beats can contain both stylized text and images
- Drag content to and from your script and Beat Board, preserving formatting
- Color code for easy reference with a vibrant color palette
- Export to PDF
- Organize beats with the Outline Editor for easy reference while writing
- Collaborators can now also access the Beat BoardMulti-Language SupportWrite in over 95 different languages.Structure PointsCreate your screenplay’s structure with this versatile tool that conforms to your unique writing preferences.Collaboration ToolWork on your script remotely in real time with your writing partner(s).Alternate Dialogue FeatureStore alternate lines of dialogue within the script for easy reference while preserving accurate pagination.Scene Numbering OptionsNumber your scenes the way you want and in line with current industry standards.Header & FooterAdd your file name to your Header & Footer automatically.
Write in over 95 different languages.
Create your screenplay’s structure with this versatile tool that conforms to your unique writing preferences.
Work on your script remotely in real time with your writing partner(s).
Alternate Dialogue Feature
Store alternate lines of dialogue within the script for easy reference while preserving accurate pagination.
Scene Numbering Options
Number your scenes the way you want and in line with current industry standards.
Header & Footer
Add your file name to your Header & Footer automatically.
Revision Menu Options
This improved production feature allows you to add bold text to your revision sets.
- Tab and Enter functionsYou can install and start using Final Draft in minutes due to the easy-to-use Tab and Enter functionality that formats the script’s elements to industry standards.Customizable Keyboard ShortcutsIf you prefer keyboard shortcuts and macros you’re already used to, Final Draft allows you to customize your workflow for your writing needs.Speech To Script (Mac Only)Use the Mac’s built-in dictation with the Final Draft Speech to Script feature for hands-free writing that’s as fast as your ideas.Final Draft Courier FontProduction companies and studios need consistent page counts when they’re budgeting a script. Final Draft uses its own Courier font to ensure identical pagination on Windows, Macintosh and the iPad.TemplatesIn addition to the standard templates that are included in the software package, the Final Draft Template Library is updated regularly and allows registered users to download over 100 classic and current television shows, screenplay, stageplay and graphic novel templates.Format AssistantThis writing tool checks your script for common formatting errors such as missing dialogue, extra spaces, carriage returns and blank elements. You can set it to run every time you print or only when you want it to.Tagging
Track and report on customizable story elements. Breakdown scripts for scheduling and budgeting.Text to SpeechHave Final Draft read your script back to you – you can even assign different voices to your characters. It’s like having a live script reading in your computer.Image SupportInsert images into your script, title page or the Beat BoardTM to help visualize your story.The Panels SystemLike most writers, you probably need to keep a lot of ideas at the front of your mind while you’re writing. With the Panels system, you can split your screen into separate panels and view your script pages in one panel while you view another section of the script or your Index Cards or Scene View in the other panel. A double-click on any scene will keep the panels in sync.Writing ManagementUse the Statistics report to check how much content you’ve completed in a writing session to help you reach your writing goals. You can also track things such how often Character A interacts with Character B.Remember WorkspaceIf you are working with multiple drafts, it is important to make sure you are editing the correct one. With the Workspace preference, you can have Final Draft open all the files you had open in your last session, in the correct order.Scene ViewScene View gives you a high-altitude look at your script and you can move scenes around to further refine your story. Insert new scenes easily and hide or show information important to you such as the scene’s action, title and summary. Assign colors to each scene by any criteria, such as storyline, character, location, time of day and more. Print your scene view or just view it alongside the script. With a double-click you can sync the script to instantly go to any scene you’ve selected.Index Cards
Final Draft has double-sided cards that display the script’s scene on one side and the summary on the other. The summary view allows you to enter text directly into the index card – plot points, notes, sequence or act markers, comments, locations, blocking – anything you need to build
and organize your story. These notes sync with the Scene Navigator, so any information you add there will automatically appear on the corresponding card. Select and rearrange multiple cards
at once if you need to reorder your scenes. Print your index cards directly on 3x5 or 4x6 cards for use in the “traditional” way if you want to visualize and organize scenes outside of the application. Double-clicking on a card in split-panel view will automatically sync the scene selected with your script page.Page Count ManagementFinal Draft offers several ways to manipulate the page count, if necessary: paragraph leading, global line spacing adjustment, global and local indent adjustments and page margin settings.Navigator FeaturesOrganizing your story has never been easier with the Final Draft 12 Navigator. No longer just
a Scene Navigator, the new Navigator also displays ScriptNotesTM and Characters arcs. Run a filtered search by keyword, create ScriptNotes and General Notes or construct a character’s arc via individual Character Beats attached to particular scenes.Scene NavigatorManage the pace and flow of your story and keep track of every scene’s information with this sortable, customizable floating palette. Final Draft 12 has the ability to filter by keyword, allowing you to see important scene details whenever you need them.Characters NavigatorKeep track of all of your characters’ arcs via individual Character Beats assigned to particular scenes. Non-speaking characters can be added to or deleted from any scene, helping you keep track of everyone even if they have no lines in a certain scene.Replace Character Names globallyNo longer do you have to “find and replace” to change a character name – Final Draft will globally change a character’s name in script elements like dialogue and action and will retain the proper casing. It will also change the name in all metadata, such as SmartType lists and the Navigator.
Character HighlightingPlanning a table read of your screenplay? Character Highlighting will come in handy to easily distinguish all characters’ dialogue. It is also a great feature for tracking a character’s dialogue to see if they are being too verbose or too shy.Inclusivity AnalysisThis feature was designed with input from The Geena Davis Institute as a way to provide writers and executives with a tool that allows them to gain insight into how inclusive their script is, by measuring customizable character traits, including gender, race, religion, orientation, ability and more.Colored Revised PagesFinal Draft is going green, giving you the ability to distribute your script electronically with the colored revised production pages. When you export to PDF, revised pages are a solid Blue, Pink, Yellow, Green, etc. When you’re working in an FDX file, the revised page will have the revision set’s color on the left and right borders only. Writing in clean white is easy on the eyes but there will be no doubt as to which revision set you’re working in.Watermarking in Printing or PDFProtect your script by identifying the recipient via a customizable watermark that displays in PDF and on the printed pages.Standardized Paper sizeEach FDX file maintains its own correct paper size (either A4 or US Letter) no matter where it’s opened.Spell CheckingChecking your work has never been easier – SmartType list words are automatically integrated in the spell-checker that features almost more than 300 new words. Additionally, the thesaurus is now in the context menu, so a right-click will give you alternative words to help make your description as vivid as possible.Mac EnhancementsMac users will benefit from the convenience of distraction-free writing in full-screen mode, as well as Retina display compatibility. Additionally, Mac’s built-in dictation feature works with Final Draft, allowing for hands-free writing that’s as fast as your ideas.
Windows EnhancementsThe Final Draft 12 user interface is updated to the new Windows ribbon look with new buttons, backgrounds and menus, but longtime users can have the same experience they’ve come to love by switching back to Classic mode.