I. HOW TO ENTER
Submit your entry using the online entry form link at the bottom of this page, WritingClasses.com/Kupferberg or by mail (see instructions below).
A $25 entry fee is required with every submission. Fee can be paid by credit card or check payable to Gotham Writers' Workshop, 555 8th Avenue #1402, New York, NY 10018. The entry fee is nonrefundable and must be in U.S. funds (USD).
All submissions must be received by 11:59pm, March 15, 2014, Eastern Standard Time. To be specific, online submissions must be submitted by 11:59pm March 15, 2014 Eastern Standard Time. Mailed submissions must arrive with the days mail. (Entries postmarked on March 15 will NOT be accepted.)
1. Entries can be submitted using the online form found at the bottom of WritingClasses.com/Kupferberg. If you are unable to submit online, you may enter by mail. Mailed entries must include:
A cover sheet that includes your name, address, phone number, and entry title(s).
Your entry/entries printed in 12 pt type, double-spaced, on white paper. (Do not include your name on the entry - it should only appear on the cover sheet.)
Entry fee (check or money order) of $25 (USD) per entry.
If you wish confirmation of entry receipt, include a self-addressed stamped postcard.
Send all of the above in an envelope to:
Gotham Writers' Workshop
Att: Kupferberg Short Story Contest
555 8th Avenue #1402
New York, NY 10018
2. All entries must be original and previously unpublished in a book, nationally distributed periodical or Web-based magazine. Entries must be in English and submitted by the author.
3. Entries must have a title and may not exceed 750 words and should be formatted in 12pt Times New Roman font with double-spacing. The short story must address the theme Tales After Dark. Entries will be judged based on creativity, sense of story, characterization, and overall quality of writing, including grammar, punctuation and syntax.
4. A $25 nonrefundable entry fee, payable to Gotham Writers' Workshop, must accompany each short story entered. If you do not wish to pay by credit card, you may send a check for $25 per entry, payable to "Gotham Writers' Workshop" to the address above. You must include the title of your entry and your name on the check. Your entry will not be forwarded to the judges until payment is received.
5. If you submit your entry online, you will receive an email confirmation upon the successful processing of your entry. If you use a spam filter, we suggest you add write.org to your appoved senders list. Please allow up to five business days after submission for processing of the confirmation. If you submit your entry by mail, you must include a self-address stamped postcard to receive entry confirmation.
6. You may submit more than one entry, but each entry must be accompanied by a $25 entry fee. No revisions will be accepted under any circumstances. Entries are forwarded to judges upon submission. No simultaneous submissions are allowed.
7. The winner will be notified via email in May 2014. All entrants will be notified of the results via email no later than June 30, 2014.
8. Employees and affiliates of Symphony Space and Gotham Writers' Workshop are prohibited from entering.
9. By entering the contest, participants are consenting to the reading of their name and entry at the June 11, 2014 Selected Shorts for possible broadcast and the listing of their name and the name of their short story on SelectedShorts.org and WritingClasses.com, and for publicity and promotional purposes on behalf of Selected Shorts - Symphony Space and Gotham Writers' Workshop with no additional compensation or further permission (except where prohibited by law).
Entry Form - Frequently Asked Questions
ENTER THE CONTEST