$10 per entry, payable to Gotham Writers' Workshop. Entry fees are nonrefundable. Payments must be in U.S. funds (USD).
Entry must be submitted by 11:59PM (EDT) June 15, 2012.
1. Entries must be submitted online only, using the official entry form found here. Mailed entries will not be accepted.
2. All entries must be original and previously unpublished in any print or digital format. Entries must be in English and submitted by the author, who must be at least 18 years old at the time of entry.
3. Entries should be a personal essay about a real-life travel experience you've had.
4. Word count: up to 1,200 words.
5. Entries will be judged based on clarity, organization, logic, and overall quality of writing, including grammar, punctuation and syntax.
6. Submissions containing profanity or portraying graphic sexual acts or graphic violence will be disqualified.
7. A $10 nonrefundable entry fee, payable to Gotham Writers' Workshop, must accompany each essay/memoir entered. If you do not wish to pay by credit card, you may send a check for $10 per entry, payable to "Gotham Writers' Workshop" to the address below. You must include the title of your entry and your name on the check. Your entry will not be forwarded to the judges until payment is received. Mail checks only (entry must be submitted online using the form located at WritingClasses.com/Travel-2012) to:
Gotham Writers' Workshop
555 8th Avenue #1402
New York, NY 10018-4358
Attn: The Writer 2012 Travel Essay Contest
8. You will receive an email confirmation upon the successful processing of your entry. If you use a spam filter, we suggest you add write.org to your approved senders list. Please allow up to five business days after submission for processing of the confirmation.
9. You may submit more than one entry, but each entry must be accompanied by a $10 entry fee. No revisions will be accepted under any circumstances. Entries are forwarded to judges upon submission.
10. No simultaneous submissions to other contests or publications are allowed.
11. Winners will be notified via email by August 10, 2012. All entrants will be notified of the results by August 15, 2012.
12. Employees and affiliates of The Writer
, Kalmbach Publishing Co., and Gotham Writers' Workshop are prohibited from entering.Judging
Editors at The Writer
will read and judge each of the entries and select 20 semifinalists. A finalist judge will read the top 20 entries and select the three prize-winners.