Andrew Motion has garnered the highest acclaim as a poet, including a knighthood and the post of Poet Laureate of the UK. In addition to his many books of poetry, Motion has published seminal biographies of poets and been a leading champion of poetry in the contemporary world. Though he has reached the pinnacle, he seeks to write poetry meaningful to all.
10 Techniques to Spark the Writing
- Decide when in the day (or night) it best suits you to write, and organise your life accordingly.
- Think with your senses as well as your brain.
- Honour the miraculousness of the ordinary.
- Lock different characters/elements in a room and tell them to get on.
- Remember there is no such thing as nonsense.
- Bear in mind Wilde's dictum that “only mediocrities develop"— and challenge it.
- Let your work stand before deciding whether or not to serve.
- Think big and stay particular.
- Write for tomorrow, not for today.
- Work hard.
From an article in The Guardian.